I found the group observation project to be very useful and insightful. Because I observed another department from work, it was nice to have the opportunity to really observe and see the group in a different light. I learned a lot about my own organization as well as how groups function in the working world. Another reason I found it useful was because I was able to understand why the specific group functions as it does. For instance, after observing the group for hours, I was able to truly understand what they go through on a daily basis. I liked being able to see this because it gave me a different perspective on their situation. Also, it allowed me to justify their actions and be able to have a more diplomatic approach if and when conflicts arise in this group. What I liked about the project was that we were instructed to observe a group outside of our own. This allowed for a better understanding because if we had been allowed to observe our own group, we would probably have predispositions and that would influence our thoughts. One thing that could be improved is to maybe incorporate more of the weekly discussions in our group observation. For instance, have one of the topics for the week be about our observations prior to us finishing the assignment, that way we can get some feedback and ideas going.
Hi Jprado,
ReplyDeleteI felt the same way about our observation papers. By being an observer, it allowed me to see peoples' perspectives in a different way than I may have processed it if I was part of the group. This exercise helped me to learn to be open to others' ways of producing results because I played the neutral role of observer. I think this will help me in the future with small groups too. If I can take myself out of my group in order to re-evaluate what needs to be done, I will be able to communicate a better solution or idea to my group. It will also help me accept others' ideas more by having a broader perspective of understanding and desire for group cohesiveness. Group work is all about compromise, and this group observation entailed alot of compromise between its' members. Great reflection J! It was nice commenting with you this semester :)
Hey.....I as well found observing a group interesting because you got to see first hand what worked and didn't work. It was interesting also to look at a group from the outside looking in and see what to do and what not to do. Now when I go into another small group I know not only what to expect but also how I can make the group better if any problems were arise. One of the things that I would have liked to have incorporated in the observation project would be interviews with the other group members not just the leader. It would be interesting to see what they would want to fix in the group if there are problems and also to see what they want the goals for the group to be further down the road.
ReplyDelete