Friday, May 13, 2011

May 8-14 Question #3

The concept I enjoyed reading the most about this semester would have to be the guidelines for observer feedback. As a refresher, here are the ten guidelines to follow when providing feedback:

  1. avoid generalizations such as phrases like “well done”
  2. focus on behaviors that can be changed perhaps instead of other non important factors that there is no control over
  3. do no debate or argue with the group
  4. do not micromanage the group process
  5. remember your role as the observer
  6. accentuate the positive
  7. end with specific suggestions for improvement rather than broad and general suggestions
  8. be clear and concise 
  9. complement in public and criticize in private
  10. develop positive relationships

I chose this topic because I find these guidelines to be true and very useful not only in the workplace, but other areas such as school and personal relationships. I enjoyed learning about this topic because it was something I felt I can actually put to good use and perhaps enlighten other people with. I would really like to share these ideas with my manager because I believe our team could truly benefit from these guidelines which would make us a successful small group J. I also found this useful when observing my group for the observation project. I wrote these down and kept them by my side as a reminder to be an effective observer. Overall, I had a pleasure learning about all the concepts discussed in class, and I am very pleased I took this class!

No comments:

Post a Comment