Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Chapter 7 question #1

    Sadly I have plenty situations where I have found listening difficult. Most of these situations are based from my workplace. At work, we often have meetings on Saturday mornings to go over our numbers, our individual performance, and overall performance as a group. However, it seems as if every meeting is the exact same and there is not a whole lot of new information being presented. During the week, the associates are constantly being reminded to perform at the highest level and we even sign a paper (at least twice a week) stating that we will improve at least 2 things by a certain time frame. In all honesty, it's incredibly redundant and almost no one takes it seriously. So when it comes time for our Saturday meetings, a lot of us just sit there enjoying our free coffee and donuts. The only time we really feel the need to listen is when we have the district manager present. I think the most difficult phase for me in this situation would have to be the first one which is “Sensing (hearing the message)”because during these meetings I have selective attention. I only choose to listen to things that I think I might have to answer out loud. I have trouble focusing on the meeting because just like everyone else at the meeting, I've heard it many times before. I think the only way this could have been overcome is by having my manager present the information in a different way. It seems as if every meeting is the exact same as the one before and it gets tiresome trying to act as if it is new and enlightening information. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree that meetings that involve the same information thrust over and over again in your face can be difficult to endure. I myself find it hard to listen to someone tell me the same thing over and over again, and after a while I just tune them and the information out.

    ReplyDelete