Monday, March 7, 2011

Chapter 6 question #3

One concept I that I found useful and relevant to my own life was the section on powerless stereotypes. Specifically, I enjoyed the section which mentioned the sex-role stereotypes. The book mentioned that these types of sex role stereotypes foster the expectations that men will act like leaders and women will act like subordinates. This is often portrayed in mainstream media which is why I believe it is still an issue in today's society. I liked reading about this concept because I have seen these types of stereotypes in my own life. For instance, in the past, I had supervisors both male and female. Working in the retail industry, most customers had the notion that the male supervisors were superior and knew a lot more than the women supervisors. However, this was often not the case. In fact, a lot of the time, my female supervisors did a better job at managing the entire team and getting effective results for our team. I had one case when an angry customer insisted on speaking with my manager and when I told him I would go get her, the customer refused and wanted to speak to the male manager because they thought he'd more power (this was not the case). It was interesting to read about the different stereotypes towards males and females but also sad to learn it is still an issue today.

1 comment:

  1. Hi jprado!
    I really enjoyed your post. I also thought the idea of sex role stereotypes was very interesting. I think there is this underlying thought still that men are better than women. This is obviously not true and should be considered as equals. I remember when Hillary Clinton was running in the election to be on the ballot for president. So many people said that she wouldnt be able to handle the stress and pressure of the job because she is a woman. Hopefulyl these sterotypes will be cleared up in the future, and women will be accepted and viewed in the same light as men. I really enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete