Thursday, March 3, 2011

Chapter 14 Question #3

One concept I found interesting in this week's reading was the section on “ethical reflection”. In this chapter, the authors discussed the importance of observing small groups as well as tips to lead a successful group. This section talks about keeping a journal to document the group process because often times group members will forget important milestones they reached. I thought it was really interesting to be able to go back and reflect on what the group did right as well as areas where they could use some improvement. Although I do not necessarily agree with the idea of keeping an actual “journal” of the group process, I can understand the idea and what the goal behind it is. The reason I do not completely agree with keeping a physical journal is because it seems a little too controlling and if I were in a group that did that I would probably feel micro-managed because they would be documenting EVERY single thing the group did. However, I do like the idea of writing down the positives and negatives the group had during their process. For instance, when I was in high school I was part of the Rally Club that was in charge of putting on events during school such as the freshmen welcome ceremony as well as the final senior ceremony. At the end of each event, we would have a meeting and discuss what we did right and what we could have done better. By the time the next event came around, we would pull out the list and review once more just to get on the right track. In my opinion it was very effective and also allowed us to give recognition to specific people instead of just saying “good job everyone”.

No comments:

Post a Comment