Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Chapter 15 Question #3

The concept I found most interesting in this week's reading was the section about Facebook on page 264. In the text, the authors write that social networking sites such as Facebook maintain both the social and task aspects of their relationships. They also write that the use of Facebook positively influences individual's social-psychological well-being, self-esteem, and sense of satisfaction with life. This was an interesting point the authors made because for the most part I would have to agree. I know that the reason I have a profile is to keep in touch with people I don't see on a regular basis as well as people who I always see. I think it is really nice to see how well my friends and family are doing even if we are miles apart. Example, my brother is in Barcelona, Spain this week and I have been able to see everywhere he has been from his Facebook posts as well as keep in contact with him without having to wait for certain times to use the phone, etc. On the other hand, I do have a few friends that are pretty annoying and post irrelevant content such as, “I'm cold” or “I'm eating chips”. Sometimes I get the urge to comment “who cares?” or something sarcastic like “wow, that is really intriguing!” So although Facebook has it's many positive aspects, there are also plenty of down sides such as knowing a little too much about people and their every day lives. These types of social networking sites can also cause harm by people who post information about work and forget they have their co-workers/ boss as friends. It can make for some really uncomfortable situations. Overall, I believe people just need to monitor who and what they post on social networking sites.

3 comments:

  1. Hi jprado, I could completely relate to your experience with facebook friends and your urges to write things like "who cares" to some comments. I think social networking allows us to keep certain people at a comfortable, convenient distance so as to be able to communicate on our own time rather than needing that immediate response in physical interaction. What gets said on social networking sites sticks because it sits on a screen to be relived over and over if someone chooses to read it. Monitoring is important, as you mentioned. It is interesting how something as "fun" as social networking can actually have such really dangerous dark sides to it. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey... I also have to agree with your post because I also have a facebook and several of my friends just post stuff that doesn't make much sense. It also goes the same way when I have friends that post way to much info about themselves though their statuses. As far as CMC communication goes it really does help in a way when you need to do a project and email isn't responding fast enough then facebook is a good way to communicate since you know when people are online. I have had several of my classmates friend me on facebook and then when projects come around and we don't understand something we just ask each other on facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading your post and I also felt that the section on Facebook was interesting! I am actually doing a project in another class about the uses and gratifications when using Facebook. Facebook has really changed the way we communicate online. With Facebook we can keep in contact with people who we may not speak to otherwise, especially distant relatives. It really has brought the whole world together. Really great job with your post!
    -Jessica
    (jstoltz89)

    ReplyDelete