Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Chapter 11& 12 Question #3

The concept I found useful in this week's reading was in chapter 11 regarding creative decision making techniques. One of the techniques listed in the reading is the concept of role playing. This is something I have plenty of experience with in my work place. Although I agree with the idea behind role playing, I feel silly doing it. At my work, we constantly have to role play and participate in scenarios where we try to sell customers certain products. For instance, my manager always pulls every associate away and has us role play a “real life” situation with a disgruntled customer. The purpose of our type of role playing is to try to convert non-customers to get one of our products whether it be a checking account, savings account, credit card, or even a simple financial review with a personal banker. Although our role playing can be helpful, I find some flaws in our method because at the end of every role play scenario, the “customer” always ends up getting the product and leaving happy. In reality, this does not always happen so it is not as helpful as it should be. However, I think that if done correctly, role playing can be an important tool in problem solving and decision making. For instance, recently, when I play the role of the customer, I ask more questions and make it harder for my manager to try and sell me the product. This causes him to come up with a different approach and try harder to please the customer. Overall, role playing is useful because it allows for people to come up with alternative methods of approaching difficult situations.

4 comments:

  1. I think this is a very useful concept too. I can relate to this, because at my work we have to open up Macy’s rewards cards, so every week or so we have to meet with our managers and try to figure out meet our weekly goals. My manager will be the customer, and I have to try to get her to open the card. I agree that the whenever up I am “opening” up a card with a manager I manage to do it, but once out on the sales floor it is a little more difficult, because issues arise like bad credit, or they are out of the country. I agree that role playing is useful, because it helps open up new ideas, and helps with alternative solutions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this concept of role playing that your manager uses. I do agree with you though that in a real life scenario the customer isn't always going to leave with the product. But, by having your team practice on one another you are able to test out your reactions and responses on one another which is a much less stressful situation then if a customer was to act in that manner in real life. This type of practice always your team to learn what not to do also, since I doubt everyone always approaches the situation in the correct manner, you are all able to learn from the few who may take a slightly incorrect response method.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post on creative decision techniques is important to highlight. The reality is there is more than one way to do things. The choice is up to you to be resourceful and creative with your decision process. As you stated, role playing can be very helpful. It is a great way to bring up topics that are sometimes assumed or ambiguous, while preparing you with the tools to respond to them correctly. I also find role playing difficult and silly sometimes, but in the end you generally take something positive away that will help you at some point in the future, which is always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jprado,

    Your post brought up an interesting point about role paying in the workplace. It made me think of the times I worked in weight loss and was in training. We would roleplay the roles of client and consultant, using dialogue to come up with effective ways to sell products and motivate clients in their weight loss journey. Like you, I felt it was unrealiztic to expect a client to purchase something so easily. I think it is good that you asked your manager many questions to allow him/her to see how challenging it is to sell something to a reluctant customer. This will help create more effective communication so that the relationship between you and the customer does not get awkward after they decline to purchase something. Sometimes the relationship between you and the customer will be enough to make them think about it more and return to purchase from you a different day. Great post!

    ReplyDelete